The importance of dreams

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I've been a dreamer for as long as I can remember. One of my biggest dreams is to travel through Europe. There have been a few attempted trips in the past that sadly haven't worked out (you can read a bit more on that, here, if you're bored). And while I know it will be a while before we actually make it over there (ya know, buying a house and saving for a wedding kind of depleted our savings...) we're determined to make it happen though!

A few other dreams that I have are to remodel our kitchen, build an awesome outdoor space in our backyard, travel to new cities with Luke, own a pair of Chanel pearls, win the lottery so I don't have to worry about money & can volunteer for a living, open a restaurant with my sister & own a brand new car someday, not a hand-me down, like I've always driven. They're some random dreams, but they're mine & I love them!

I came across a website a little while back that listed 16 reasons why it's important to have dreams. Seeing this list really inspired me to share my own, no matter how small, how big, or how silly they are, they belong to me!

Here are my top 10 reasons (see all 16 here):

1. The secret of living is giving, if you follow your dreams then you will have something worth sharing with others, hope, inspiration and a meaning to live, and that to me, is a great contribution.

2. Chasing your dreams will develop your courage. Courage is your fuel to achieve amazing success in life, follow your dreams and exercise courage. In sure enough time you will be unstoppable.

3. There is a reason why as kids we loved magic and dreams. Stop chasing your dreams and you will forget how it feels to live hopeful and young.

4. Dreams can distract you from the negative events in life. You will weigh up what is more important, your dreams or the drama. Drama seems obsolete when you are passionate about following your dreams.

5. Through accomplishing your dreams you will come to appreciate the experience of failure and know that failure is just part of success and that it wasn’t really all that bad as it was all worth it in the end.

6. Regret is a terrible thing, and a dream is powerful enough to bring you regret if you don’t take the chance to at least follow it.

7. The unknown of following your dreams may spark a little fear, this is okay though because a little fear is known to make you feel more alive.

8. The more you chase and accomplish your dreams the more the lines of the boundaries that the world puts in front of us fade, as we learn that any and everything is possible.

9. Your dreams have no limits, you are the creator of your dreams, big or small. When this is understood, you are able to design a way to favour you plan and accomplish your end goal.

10. A dream is strong enough to define you, once accomplished you prove to others they have no say in who you can and can’t be.


4 comments:

  1. Holly, this was a wonderful read to start my morning. I am always dreaming and scheming because life is too short not to!

    Did you do a design refresh recently? It looks lovely. I need to do mine again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post. Dreams are so important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, I love this! Definitely gives me something to think about - it's too easy to get caught up and lose track of the dreams that are so important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish to be a singer in the Opera.
    But it will remain just a dream :)

    ReplyDelete