"To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."

I have been all about the quotes lately. I have come across a few that I can really relate to. The most recent one [above] seems to sum up some of the struggles that I have been dealing with in recent times... Now when I say struggle, that doesn't mean that I've hit a rough patch or that I am having a hard time, it's just that as human beings it's natural to challenge ourselves, or re-invent ourselves when we tire of doing the same routine.

I want to challenge, re-invent, evolve... I have all these hopes and dreams for things that I want to do, or things that I see myself doing in the future. These are all things that I could be doing now. These are all things that I want to be doing now.

Here are some examples...
  • Contribute to the well-being of my community
  • Be a voice of my community
  • Get to know my neighbors
  • Advance my career
  • Buy a house & make it a home
  • Construct my own darkroom and develop my own prints
As much as I have tried in Seattle, I just don't feel a connection with this city. I've lived here for over 2 1/2 years but it doesn't feel like home, I don't feel like a part of the community here. Don't get me wrong, Seattle is a great city & it has provided me with some great opportunities - it just isn't my home - that's all. This is a huge part of why I haven't done any of the bullet listed points above... It's been a huge personal struggle for me. These are all things that are really important to me, but I just keep telling myself I'll get to them one day, when I am in my ideal situation. This is where the quote comes in now...

"To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."

This sums up my situation. This sums up my struggle with moving ahead in this city. I know that I have a lot to offer & I know that I could be doing more. I don't want to sit back and waste away my potential, essentially that is what I am doing, unfortunately, and that makes me feel like I am a bump on a log here.

When do we know where our correct place is in this world, or when do we know we're doing what we're supposed to be doing? I'm still thinking/exploring/contemplating in hopes that I can make the right decision for myself someday [soon]... I'll keep you updated! ;)

Comments