A weekend off-the-grid at Lost Lake

Luke and I recently spent a glorious weekend at Lost Lake with our friends (my sister even joined!). We didn't have cell service or WIFI the entire weekend and I couldn't have been happier about it. Taking a few days to go off-the-grid is always good for the soul. My phone stayed place in my overnight bag and I took photos with my camera. It was just the refreshing weekend that I didn't even know I needed.

Our days were filled with a hike around the lake, plenty of snacks and naps (okay, my sister and I were the only ones to actually nap...). We cooked (or rather assembled) all of our meals and even made a fire to roast marshmallows.

One morning we woke up early and took our camping chairs down to the lake to scout out the best spot to eat lunch and swim in the water. Our friends ran into some people they knew from their kids' school as we drank beers while wading in the water. Their friend brought up a very interesting conversation about chance encounters with people you know. He referenced an article he read and summarized that when you run into someone familiar in a place that isn't familiar (i.e. running into someone you know in a completely different state, or miles and miles away without the prior knowledge of each other being there) it triggers happiness in your brain. It instills a sense of belonging and gives you the feeling that you have a place in the world. It really got me thinking, how many more of these encounters could we make over time if we open ourselves up more and step out of comfort zones? Deep thoughts at the lake. :)

It was my first trip out to Lost Lake, which I actually find surprising, considering that I grew up in a family that explored most of the northwest. I grew up camping all along the Oregon and California coast. We even took "Sunday Drives" to explore new areas of Oregon we hadn't been to before. There's still so much more of this beautiful state that I haven't seen yet - it's all on my list!







We stayed in one of 7 cabins at the lake (we were in cabin #7).

















- Photos © Holly Copeland -

Comments