Wedding Wednesday: I picked out my own engagement ring

After some thought I decided that I wanted to start posting Wedding Wednesdays on the blog. I know a lot of people do it, but I don't care. I'm doing it, too!!
This week I'm talking about engagement rings.

I picked out my own engagement ring...

There was a time a little while back when one of our friend's got engaged & we saw her ring. Luke said, "oh that looks nice, he did a good job picking that out for her". I sat there quietly & didn't say anything. A little panic might have settled inside me. I made a mental note though... & that mental note was that if Luke liked that engagement ring, Luke wouldn't be picking out mine! Does that sound a little harsh? I certainly don't mean for it to - it's just the truth. And it's the start about how we both set about to find the perfect engagement ring.


When we started talking a little more seriously about our future, we went looking for engagement rings, together. I thought I was certain in what I wanted & I went into the ring search knowing that I wanted a square diamond with a halo. When I tried a few of those styles on it just didn't feel like "me".  I was kind of surprised. After a few shops, trying on lots of styles, I fell in love with an emerald cut ring. A cut I never thought I would ever want. But it turned out to be THE ONE ring that I kept coming back to, the one ring that I couldn't get out of my head. It's the ring that Luke ended up buying.

Now, when I tell people that I picked out my ring I get one of two responses...

I get the... "omg I did too!"
or I get the... " ohhhh really? why'd you do that?"

People have asked me if it's any less special, or does it not mean as much that you already knew. The answer is NO! It was such a great experience going all around town with Luke, trying on rings. We spent two different days searching & those were two very special days to me. I remember feeling very excited & giddy. I remember thinking that we were taking the next step in our relationship & that I couldn't be more excited!


When I knew that Luke had the ring, I began to wonder when exactly he was going to propose. I knew he had the ring, but was I going to be able to figure out when he was going to ask me? He definitely kept me in suspense & ended up completely surprising me when he *finally* did propose. It was the best surprise; it couldn't have been more perfect. It was us.

Truth be told, Luke felt a lot better about both of us picking out which ring I wanted, because he didn't want to mess it up. He wanted me to have the ring I wanted. I am the one that is going to wear it forever, after all.

Now every time I look at my ring, I think of how we picked it out together & it actually means more to me than him guessing on something I might like.


I want to know... 
Did you pick out yours - or was it a surprise?
What are your thoughts?

(all photos via Martha Stewart)


I'm also linking up with Ashley, so you can check out other Wedding Wednesday posts!


Comments

  1. I had a similar "mental note" experience! My fiance's roommate had picked up a little magazine from one of the local jewelry stores to get ideas for his girlfriend's birthday present. My fiance and I were bored and were flipping through it one day when we ended up on the engagement ring page. I swear, he liked every ring that I didn't! He kept pointing at the ones on the page I just skimmed over because they didn't interest me. Um, can you say worried?! But I came to the conclusion that I'd love the ring no matter what (even though he even dropped a hint one day that he might make me one with his new forge!!! Ah!) and I was pleasantly surprised with the result. Something I wouldn't necessarily have picked out for myself, but something I now love with every bit of my heart. I think it works out well no matter which way you go about it! It is based on love, after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 this!! I don't think you could have picked a better ring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... I came across your blog by accident but it's SO cute. Hopefully you don't mind if I follow you :) LOVE that you just got engaged. Such pretty rings. In future, I think I'd rather pick mine out as well. I mean, you're dumping a couple grand on this so you better like it, right?! But yeah keep up the cute blog work.

    Love,
    Morg @ morgan-alexandra.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked out my ring too. Granted he took me to toronto, booked an appointment at tiffany's and off we headed. I still love it and I love the memory of going there together that day. I think it was the first and maybe even the only one I tried on. When you know you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not pick out my ring but absolutely love it. I was completely shocked at what a good job he did at picking it out.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog - I am now your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking about this today!! There was an ad on the radio that said, "you'll remember how much fun you had picking out your ring together..." so it got me thinking how many couples go ring shopping. I loved reading this story! After 4 years of dating boyfriend I could only wish he'd start talking rings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Holly, Found you through the wedding link up. Newest follower. Love your blog. OMG Gracie is the cutest!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked mine. I knew exactly what I wanted and where I wanted to buy it. It's an Edwardian/pre-art deco ring from my favorite antique store in Seattle. It's from 1911. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also picked up mine :)

    Also, hi! I love your blog! I found it through the Follow Me Maybe blog hop, and I fell in love with it, it's so cute! I'm your new follower :)

    Laura
    http://casetadepaper.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! I gave lots of hints about mine! Over from the hop and excited to follow you. Hoping you'll be able to follow me, maybe? :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He picked mine out and I couldn't be happier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, we didn't go shopping together or anything, but I did send him a couple of pictures as "hints". So I did end up getting what I wanted, but he did go find the jewelry and buy it alone. He even guessed my size, which I find remarkable. He just told the guy- her ring finger is the size of my pinkie and then they measured his pinkie!

    I don't think there is anything wrong with picking out your ring. Then you get a ring you'll love for years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I gave him some pointers and links ;) And I got exactly what I wanted! Congrats on your engagement. I just got my e-pics back as well. I'm gonna go peak around and see if I can find when your big day is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, great article, I really appreciate your thought process and having it explained properly, thank you! engagement rings hatton garden

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment