Sausage Gravy & Apple Dutch Baby

There are two breakfast recipes that are my absolute favorite to make on the weekends. Both are my own recipes that I've tweaked over time, just to my liking. The Sausage Gravy is Luke's favorite & I really only make it every once in a while, like on a special weekends. The second is my Apple Dutch Baby. I've made numerous variations over the years & have finally settled on a version that Luke & I both love & agree is the best one yet!


Sausage Gravy
[Serves 4]

1 pound of sausage
1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
2 cups of milk
a pinch of sage
salt & pepper to taste

Crumble & cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat until browned. Stir in the flour over the sausage & continue cooking until it dissolves (about 1 minute). Gradually stir in the milk. Cook until thick & bubbly. Add salt, pepper & sage to your liking & serve over fresh baked biscuits.

**All measurements are approximate. I never actually measure anything, I eyeball everything.**



Apple Dutch Baby
[Serves 2]

3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
3 eggs
1-2 apples (peeled, sliced & lightly covered in cinnamon & sugar)
1 pat of butter (just enough to coat the bottom of the pan)

Preheat the oven to 425 F. Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet or small casserole dish (what I use). 

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, milk & eggs until smooth. Pour the batter over the melted butter & then drop in the apple slices. 

Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until the top turns slightly golden brown.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. YUM! breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and i can absolutely eat this every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum thank you for sharing! I am always looking for new recipes and especially for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course! I'm always looking for new breakfast recipes, too - it's my favorite meal to cook!

      Delete
  3. How have I never thought to add sage to my sausage gravy?! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because it was a game time decision one day & we loved it - so now I always add it :)

      Delete
  4. am definitely going to try out the dutch baby recipe for a valentines' breakfast tomorrow. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a unique breakfast combo... I've never had a dutch baby and I've never made my own sausage gravy. I can instantly see that Zac would appreciate a breakfast like this. The recipe has been bookmarked. I hope you're having fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment