On Owning a Home


At the end of this month, Luke & I will have owned our home for two years. I can't believe it has been that long! Sometimes it only seems like a few months ago that we were looking at houses after work with our realtor. We've slowly spent the last (almost) two years making our house our home. While I do love our house (it's small, perfect for just Luke, Gracie & I), I find myself often getting frustrated with how long it has taken us to complete all the projects that we originally sought out to.

When we decided this was the house for us, we knew that there were a few things that we wanted to change. Here's what we've changed thus far...



  • Painted the kitchen & dining room from a canary yellow to a toasted almond
  • Replaced all the knobs on the kitchen cabinets
  • Refinished all the hardware on all the doors
  • Built shelves in the garage for extra storage
  • Painted an extra bedroom from fiesta red to dark granite
  • Painted the other extra bedroom from teal/purple to the toasted almond that is in the kitchen and dining room 
  • Painted our master bedroom from brown to grey

    And what a difference all that painting made! But the list goes on...

    My first must-have was a gorgeous kitchen. While ours is okay, it's not what I wanted. The countertops are a swirly green & white marble with wood on all sides (odd, yes). The backsplash is made up of two-toned white & grey tiles with images of seed packets on every few tiles. Totally not MY style. But we loved this little house so much & saw real potential in what it could be with a little love. We then came to an agreement that we'd replace the countertops & install a subway tile backsplash.

    My second must-have was built-in shelves. The first house that we toured had these amazing built-in shelves & I could just picture myself sitting on a cozy couch with a cup of hot cocoa, listening to Christmas music, in front of my built-in shelves. They just looked so cozy to me. So that was also something that we agreed we would eventually tackle; building built-in shelves in the living room around the fireplace.

  • ----- ----- -----

    Well, like I said above, it has been almost two years & all these grand plans of countertops, blacksplashes & built-ins haven't even been started. A meltdown or two might have taken place over the last month or so & my husband may or may not have had to pull me back into reality... Bless his heart. Bless his heart for his willingness to help me finish all these crazy projects to make this tiny house our dream home. We've dedicated the next 6 months to finishing the built-ins, countertops & backsplash! I can hardly wait; I'm absolutely beside myself in excitement! (see now that I put it on the blog, out in the universe, I'm holding ourselves accountable to finishing it!) You're all invited over in March to our "new" home! :)

    Maybe I'll finally get around to posting photos of our house now; a house tour if you will. Something I've been wanting to do for the past two years :)

    Comments

    1. We just passed the 2 year mark too! Its so fun and exciting until all the work and bills come :) We actually love our home and miss it being over here in Dublin!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes! So much fun until you have to pay for everything :) At least you'll be able to go back to it after Dublin, right?!

        Delete
    2. SO excited for your pinterest worthy place!

      ReplyDelete
    3. We just moved into our first home! And it is certainly overwhelming. I would love to redo our kitchen too, but not sure when that will happen!

      ReplyDelete
    4. i can't believe it's been 2 years! wow!

      ReplyDelete
    5. WOW i cant believe it's been 2 years. time really does fly. i cant wait to see your finished kitchen! xo

      ReplyDelete
    6. What an adorable home!! I think it feels so good to know your "rent" is going toward your own investment and not someone elses.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment