Charleston, South Carolina | October 2017

Charleston was just charming. Charleston was also extremely hot and humid. I'm no stranger to the east coast and humidity, but humidity in the south is on another level. I decided that as long as I could pull my hair back I could deal with it. It just meant stopping in air conditioned shops every 20 minutes to cool off, or carrying around paper towels in my purse to "freshen up" every now and then. Being an Oregonian in the south sends a shock to your system. Just keeping it real, friends! ALSO speaking of shocks to your system, we found a spider approximately the size of a small crab in our Airbnb kitchen and I just about booked an early flight home. I actually had nightmares that evening that spiders got me in my sleep and woke up in a panic.

Okay, complaining aside, this beautiful old city is full of the most charming and colorful houses around every corner. I could walk the city for hours (and we did) snapping photos of everything in sight. I'll let the photos do the talking though. Scroll down for a Charleston photo overload!

What we ate/drank: Callie's Hot Little Biscuit, Fleet Landing, Another Broken Egg, Pearlz Oyster Bar, Charleston Beer Works, Early Bird Diner, Tattooed Moose, Meeting at Market, The Watch (places we wanted to try but didn't have enough time: The Darling, Husk, 167 Raw, Butcher & Bee, The Obstinate Daughter, Lewis BBQ. The food in Charleston is beyond! You really have to pace yourself here).

What we loved: The southern charm, beautiful pastel houses, small town feel, the delicious sourthern food and local beers, walking around with no destination in mind, browsing the candle selection at Candlefishcruising around the harbor, visiting the beaches, lounging on the rooftop of Skinny Dip, visiting the Kiawah Island Golf Resort where we spent a day swimming in the ocean and the pool and catching up with Luke's friends.


- Photos © Holly Copeland -

Comments