Recent Reads v.2


Surprise Me | In college I got hooked on Sophie Kinsella books, especially the Shopaholic Series (I read them all!). This book was a fun and quick read. A little cheesy and over-the-top, but in true Sophie Kinsella fashion the characters are quirky, full of wild imagination and endearing.
(4 stars)

It Ends With Us | I could not put this book down, I was hooked from the first few pages! You can see the stage being set throughout the first few chapters and it's almost as if you're waiting for the other shoe to drop, but don't know when it's going to happen so you never put the book down. It's very heavy and emotional and I feel as though I can't go into any further detail here because I'd risk giving too much away. I read so many reviews on Goodreads (after finishing the book) that stated you need to dive into this book without fully understanding what it's about, and after finishing it - I completely agree with that statement.
(4.5 stars)

An American Marriage | I had been on the wait-list for this book from my local library for a few months. Once I finally got my hands on it, I read it in a few days. Someone in the library stopped to tell me how good this was was when I was checking it out! This book is raw and emotional. Roy and Celestial are newly married when Roy is convicted of a crime he didn't commit and sent to prison for 12 years. While Roy is incarcerated, Celestial finds comfort in her childhood friend Andre, who also happens to be Roy's best friend. The book goes in-depth into each character and the choices they make along the way. Although I didn't always agree with some of the choices they made, I understood why.
(4.5 stars)

One True Loves | Emma marries her high school sweetheart and he disappears in a helicopter crash on their first wedding anniversary. Emma struggles to put her life back together and eventually moves on and becomes engaged to an old family friend. Then over three years later, out of the blue, Emma receives a phone call from her husband - he has been alive the entire time! Emma is now faced with the difficult decision on whether to return to her husband or stay with her fiancĂ©. This book is extremely thoughtful and explores the sometimes difficult and life altering decisions we can be forced to make. This was my first Taylor Jenkins Reid book and it won't be my last!
(4 stars)

The Light Between Oceans | Tom is lighthouse keeper living off the Western Australia shore with his new wife, Isabel. The only human contact they have is from the supply boat that arrives every four months. Isabel has suffered multiple miscarriages over the years at the lighthouse and doesn't know how to cope. One day a boat appears on the lighthouse shore with a baby and a deceased man. Isabel and Tom take the baby on as their own. Over time their secret becomes too much for one of them to bear. This book details what happens when good people make bad decisions and how you live with the choices that you make.
(4 stars)

Little Fires Everywhere | Days after finishing this book and I still don't know how I feel about the ending... Mia and her daughter arrive in Shaker Heights, a progressive and orderly suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. Their nomad lifestyle doesn't sit well with the residents, especially with their landlord, Mrs. Richardson. When the Richardsons' family friends attempt to adopt a Chinese-American baby, a custody battle ensues that captures the attention of Shaker Heights residents - ultimately placing Mia and Mrs. Richardson on opposing sides. What makes matters even more interesting is that Mia's daughter has formed close friendships with Mrs. Richardson's children. This book details the fires that burn within each character until it all comes to a screeching halt. I loved the story and Celeste Ng's writing style so much that I finished this book in approximately 48 hours. My only hang up with this book is that I didn't enjoy the ending. I won't give away any spoilers, you'll have to read it for yourself!
(4 stars)

Comments