Recent Reads V.5

I have to admit that for the past few months I've fallen into a reading slump. I couldn't finish anything for months. I attempted three different books and I either couldn't get into them or couldn't get inspired by them. I finally switched gears and went for a an author that I love (Taylor Jenkins Reid) and got out of my reading slump two days later :) I have so many good books on my reading list this year that I can't wait to get my hands on!

Here's what I've been reading lately.
Matchmaking for Beginners | I had heard so many good reviews of this book that I was so excited when I finally got my hands on it. It was a fun read but I didn't love the storyline.
(3 stars)

Maybe in Another Life | When I was deep into my reading slump of uninspiring books I decided to go back to an author that I love - and I finished this book in just a few days! It was such a fun and easy read. One of my favorite aspects of Taylor Jenkins Reid novels is that not only is she an amazing storyteller but she interjects life lessons and words of wisdom. I always take away so much more than a fun story from her books. Hannah is twenty-nine and has no idea what she wants to do with her life.   She moves back to her hometown in an effort to start over once again. On one particilur night out with her best friend she has to make a choice to go home with her friend or stay out and reconnect with her high-school boyfriend. Both decisions play out in concurrent storylines and those storylines take two drastically different turns. It raises questions about fate and how much of our life is determined by the choices we make.
(4 stars)

All Your Perfects | I picked this one up because I loved the last Colleen Hoover book I read and this one had great reviews on Goodreads. This was quite a heavy read. I loved how the main characters met and how they solved their differences, as I'm sure many married couples can relate to the challenges that Quinn and Graham faced. Similar to the last book I read of Colleen's, I feel like I can't go into any more detail otherwise I might spoil it!
(4 stars)

The Husband's Secret | So many of my co-workers have recommended this book to me lately. I loved What Alice Forgot, so I thought I'd give this one a go! I found the main character in this book to be extremely similar to the main character in her last book I read, which I found kind of odd. Maybe the author has a niche character she loves writing about? Either way, it was well-written and fun to follow along with. I love a book that has multiple storylines that eventually come together and this one had three!
(4.25 stars)

Born a Crime | I recently saw Trevor Noah on tour and it inspired me to read his book which is composed of stories from his childhood, growing up in South Africa. Wow, did I love this book! Trevor is an excellent storyteller and he's full of humor. His experiences growing up will leave you absolutely shocked. His book was also an eye-opener about the separation of class and race. I can't recommend this one enough!
(5 stars)

The Boy Who Runs: The Odyssey of Julius Achon | This book holds a special place in my heart. I recently visited Uganda and got to work with the charitable foundation that Julius Achon founded and my experience was one that changed me. The Boy Who Runs tells the incredible life story of Julius and how he overcame the odds and made a life for himself outside of the small village he grew up in in Northern Uganda.
(5 stars)

Comments